Name: Laila Gohar
Location: New York
Questionnaire: Laila Gohar
Describe yourself in a single sentence?
– I am feeling pretty good about myself, today.
What was your last thought before falling asleep last night?
I’m jetlagged so have been a state of delirium / half asleep half awake for the last couple of nights. But last night I fell asleep fully clothed, as my boyfriend was making spaghetti. He tried to wake me up but I was out. Then he forced me to go at least brush my teeth. I was thinking I was annoyed to have to walk to the bathroom.
What is the first thing you think about when you wake up?
– I love the mornings. I try not to instantly start “thinking”. I like to just lay there for a while.
Describe your bedroom. What objects do you surround yourself with?
– I live in a loft so there’s no walls or rooms. The area where my bed is has a tatami made out of a red Kvadrat fabric that my friend Pali Cornelsen designed, and Japanese rice paper divider and then just the mattress.
What are you working on right now?
– Gohar World, a line of tableware that I make with my sister Nadia.
If you could give your younger self any advice, what would that be?
– Be kinder and softer.
What’s your biggest load?
An artist, writer, filmmaker, or musician that particularly inspires you at the moment?
– I just saw the Etel Adnan show at the Guggenheim. It was so beautiful.
What do you think about sports?
– I like watching football. It’s the only time where I show any display of nationalism. Egypt, where I’m from, is quite good at football. And I love Mo Salah. Every Egyptian is suddenly a Liverpool fan…
How much luck have you had in life?
So much. Beyond my dreams.
What do you dream about?
– All sorts of things. My work, things I want to do, food, the way things make me feel, love…
Name your favourite restaurant?
– Altro Paradiso
Is there anything else you would like to tell us?
– I’m typing this from the bathtub…
Photography: Laila Gohar, New York, October 2021.